Thursday, December 22, 2005

list season: bethanne's favorite holiday songs

Ah, the Christmas season is here. Unfortunatly for many who go shopping for last-minute gifts trying to get into the holiday spirit, we have to hear the same holiday tunes over store PAs while waiting in line. However, I'm here to share my favorite Christmas songs for those to appreciate. (In no particular order.)

1. Run-DMC - Christmas In Hollis

I grew up with this being on MTV every year for Christmas - when they were playing videos, anyway - and with it being featured on an old skit on Jackass makes me love this song even more. It's my favorite Christmas song because it was unexpected at the time it was recorded and it still resonates with me today. (Check out Thunderbirds Are Now! covering this song on Clever Titles...)

2. Blink 182 - I Won't Be Home For Christmas

It's the makings of a classic Christmas song: Boy goes psycho around Christmas time. Destroys decorations. Girlfriend gets concerned. Cops get called. Boy gets thrown in jail and forced by his cellmate to perform anal sex. And you thought your plans for the holiday were horrible........

Moral of the story: I'm a sucker for juvenile behavior. I miss Blink.

3. The Vandals - Oi! To The World

The classic punk-rock Christmas song. No Doubt tried - and kind of failed - to cover this song properly. Though they used horns to give it a ska-feel, I prefer my punk rock christmas songs to be....PUNK ROCK!

4. Rilo Kiley - Christmas Cake

This song is cute. Especially the begining.

5. My Chemical Romance - All I Want For Christmas Is You

Mr. Douglas and I were just talking about this song - and thus gave me the idea to write this list - after I told him how I had this song downloaded. I gave it a spin and found it much more tolerable and awesome than the original version by Mariah Carey. (At least Gerald Way doesn't sound like a dying cat.) Of course, it spawned this part of the coversation:

bethanne: hot button topic for december: who would you rather have serenade you? gerald way or mariah carey?
douglas: haha; niiice!


I now leave you guys with that question.

And try to enjoy the holidays and don't wait until the last minute to spread that holiday cheer. Oh what fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home